I love peanut butter and chocolate, so it’s surprising it’s taken me until now to whip up a Raw Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake!
As a kid I spent six years in Canada, so Reece’s peanut butter cups have a big nostalgic feel for me. But let’s be real, pb-cups aren’t that great for us. Why not eat something delicious but that’s all from real, whole-food ingredients?!
I love peanut butter so much, that John will often just randomly ask me “does that have peanut butter in it?” #smartass.
Hollaaaah to all the peanut-butter-chocolate lovers! ?
Ok let’s talk peanut butter!
You have to get good quality, natural / organic peanut butter that’s JUST peanut butter. No added sugars or hydrogenated oils please! I love Mayvers, MaraNatha (I used this one) or even just the Macro organic one from Woolworths.
You can also swap peanut butter for almond butter or tahini. (I think you would need to play around with the ratio of cashews and nut butter though as the flavour won’t be as strong as peanut butter).
This Raw Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake is so creamy, it’s FULL of peanut flavour and the chocolate coconut yoghurt topping is like a rich ganache.
I (figuratively) DIE for this slice.
Chocolate topping options
The Chocolate Coconut Topping is not raw as it uses dark chocolate. I know, I know, the title says “raw” but there is a raw option!
But I had picked up a really good dairy free dark chocolate from my local health food shop – and I wanted to use it! If you’re going this option, then make sure you use a really nice dark chocolate.
If you want to keep it 100% raw, then just stick with the Chocolate Drizzle topping option!
Chuck on some crushed peanuts too for good measure, or if you’re lucky like me, find some dairy free chocolate coated peanuts. #drool
Just look at those beauties!!!
Ok, that’s really all I have to say about this – because it’s peanut butter and chocolate baby.
- 5 organic medjool dates
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup almond meal
- ¼ cup raw cacao butter, melted
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- PB Cheesecake
- 2½ cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
- ¾ cup organic peanut butter
- ¾ cup raw cacao butter, melted
- ½ cup rice malt syrup
- ¾ cup coconut yoghurt
- Chocolate Coconut Topping (not raw)
- 200g dark chocolate (dairy free)
- 250g coconut yoghurt
- Chocolate Drizzle (raw)
- 4 tbsp organic coconut oil, room temperature
- ⅓ cup rice malt or coconut syrup
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- Line a 20cm square baking pan with enough baking paper to overlap two sides of the pan.
- To make the base, place the coconut butter, dates, desiccated coconut and almonds in a food processor and whiz to a coarse paste. Press firmly and evenly into the prepared pan, then transfer to the freezer to firm up.
- For the cheesecake filling, place the raw cacao butter, rice malt syrup, peanut butter, coconut yoghurt and (drained) cashews in a clean high-speed blender and whiz to a smooth paste. Spread the mixture evenly over the chilled base, then return to the freezer to firm up.
- For the chocolate coconut topping, first melt the dark chocolate. Add the coconut yoghurt gradually and whisk until smooth (tip – easiest with the coconut yoghurt at room temperature so it doesn't split the melted chocolate). Set aside.
- Use a hot knife (dip into boiling water and dry with a tea towel in between slices), to cut the cheesecake into pieces.
- Spoon the chocolate coconut topping into a piping bag and decorate each piece as you wish!
- Keep frozen or refrigerated until ready to serve.